Thursday, August 13, 2009

I'm in Stitches

Occasionally, when I run, I get a "stitch" in my side that makes it difficult to continue. I got one of those today and starting wondering what it is exactly, what causes them and how I can prevent them. So ... I did some internet research.

Apparently, the stitch in your side is a cramp of the diaphragm. When you are running or engaging in other kinds of vigorous activity, you create a lot of stress on your body as your organs are bouncing up and down. Several of these organs, like the liver, stomach and spleen, are attached by ligaments to your diaphragm. The strain is particularly intense when you are exhaling and your diaphragm is moving up, but your organs are pulling downward.

Sports Injury Bulletin suggests that most runners naturally sync their breathing with their steps so that they end up exhaling on the same foot every time, causing more stress on that side of the body. Therefore, one way to get rid of a side stitch is to switch your exhale to the other side. While I haven't noticed myself breathing in time with my steps, I definitely think that breathing more deeply can make a difference in the intensity of the cramp.

I also have noticed that I usually don't get a side stitch when I stretch out beforehand. I usually try to do standing, long side stretches prior to running, and when I do those, I almost never experience a cramp.

The same Sports Injury Bulletin article suggests these four ways to prevent a side stitch:
  1. Strengthen your diaphragm through "belly breathing" work.
  2. Strengthen your abdominal muscles with core work.
  3. Abstain from eating or drinking in the hour prior to exercise.
  4. Relax!!!!
Use these tips to help prevent side stitches and keep you exercising and working hard!!

Today's workout:
30 min. hill interval run (3.25 miles)
30 min. core class
25 min. strength training
15 min. elliptical (1.87 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment