Monday, August 3, 2009

Redefining "Easy"


My workouts today helped me look at what I consider "easy" in a whole new light.

First of all, I started with a run. I wanted to try out a new class (more on that later), so I only had 20 minutes for cardio. Since it was a short time, I wanted to "kick it up a notch" and go a little faster than I usually do for a straight up run. I set the treadmill speed at 1 mph faster than I would usually go for my comfortable pace. As I was running, though, I realized that this speed was quite comfortable. I also realized that it was considerably slower than my usual race pace. My perceived effort a the end of the run could only be described as average (4).

While I could measure my progress in running through my race times, and see the changes on the scale, I have not yet adapted my workout to correlate with these changes. Physical fitness and the journey toward a goal is a fluid, ongoing evolution, and my self-perceptions need to change in order to continue that forward momentum. That is, what was "hard" is now "easy" and therefore, I need to change the treadmill settings accordingly.

I had another chance to redefine "easy" in a different way. The new class that I tried today was called "Ballet Body". It was taught by a lovely, extremely flamboyant male ballet dancer who will be leaving next week to appear in a zombie B-movie. Awesome.

Anyway, at first glance the moves seemed ridiculously "easy". Lots of demi-plies, tendus, leg lifts, etc. However, maintaining balance was very difficult and I could feel my core working. Pointing my toes engaged all the muscles in my legs, and after continuously working my legs the whole hour with these deceptively "simple" moves, I have serious muscle soreness. No wonder ballerinas have such amazing bodies! It was a great class and I hope to take it again.

The ballet class was a great example of how you can strengthen and tone your body without using any additional equipment other than your own body. While it may look "easy", the results are real - and that's what matters.

Today's workout:
20 min. run (2.33 miles)
60 min. ballet body class

No comments:

Post a Comment