Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fourteen Seconds!


That's how much I shaved off my race time today! I completed the Heinzerling 5K in 23:44, fourteen seconds faster than my last race (average pace-7:39/mi). More importantly, I didn't feel like I was going to die when I finished! In fact, as I passed the 3.0 mile marker, I saw the time clock was at 23:3? and I knew I could beat my last time, so I sprinted hard for the finish. There was no way I could have done that last time - I dragged myself over the finish line. Also, I won my age group again! Overall, I finished 24th of 155 runners, 6th of 88 women.

Homestead Park was not my favorite race venue, for the simple fact that it was extremely difficult to get to. It is located on the far west side of town, in Hilliard. The trail was paved, with rolling hills in some places that transitioned into a flat bike path. No part of the trail was shaded, however, and I am hoping I don't end up with a little bit of a sunburn!

The Heinzerling Foundation is a residential facility that "provides a loving and nurturing environment that enriches the development, education and quality of life of individuals with severe or profound mental retardation." Find out more about the foundation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment