Thursday, July 30, 2009

Visualization

Sometimes, when you are running and working hard, it is difficult to keep going.  You might be giving it your all, breathing hard and working up a sweat and wondering how you can keep up the pace.  

I just started running this summer.  I have run a few 5K races, and each time I have a different mindset.  Sometimes I am excited and positive and ready to do my best!  But, unfortunately, other times, I want to quit as soon as I have begun - negative energy fills my mind and I wonder why I ever thought I could be a runner.  

One of the most effective methods I have of pushing forward is visualization and using mantras. Instead of focusing on the discouraging thoughts, I force myself to conjure up a positive image.  Sometimes I think of the finish line.  I often run in events organized by Premier Races.  That group always puts a giant inflatable arch over the starting/finish line.  I focus on that arch in my mind and picture myself running through it.  I visualize the time clock and picture a favorable running time on it.  These mental images help me to continue onward and maintain my pace.

I also develop a mantra as a run; an encouraging sentence or two that gives me that extra drive.  Sometimes it's as simple as "I can do it!" or "Keep going!".  These visualization and mantra techniques engage my mind to support my body as I run toward the finish.  

I needed these methods to help me get through my workout today!  It was hard!

Today's workout:
15 min. stretch
5 mile VO2 max run:
1.o mile @ 0% inc./5.5 mph

.25 mile @ 3% inc./8.5 mph
.25 mile @ 0% inc./6.0 mph
(repeat 5x)

.25 mile @ 0% inc./8.5 mph
1.5 mile @ 0% inc./6.o mph

No comments:

Post a Comment