Monday, July 20, 2009

Energy Balance Yoga


D had a playdate most of the day, so unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to get to the gym.  I thought about taking a run outside, but didn't really have the motivation.  In fact, I thought about skipping a workout altogether, but decided I needed to "force" myself to do SOMETHING.  

So I pulled out one of my yoga DVDs.  I rarely use these, but they good for these kind of moments.  I bought most of them before I was "serious" about yoga, and doing them now shows how mindfulness about the body can change your workout entirely.  I was glad that I changed my mind and chose to exercise.

Rodney Yee is a well-known yoga master, trained in Iyengar style yoga.  The Energy Balance DVD is divided into five sections: Awakening (warm-up), Centering (balance flow), Creativity (sun salutation-style vinyasa), Reflection (seated forward bends), and Surrender (restoration and savasana).  Yee's simple directions are accompanied by a relaxing soundtrack that is not distracting.  He uses the English, not Sanskrit, names for the poses and provides little direction beyond the names of the poses.  I would suggest familiarity with a variety of asanas before attempting the video, as it would be distracting and difficult to complete the practice if you have to continually fix your gaze on the television.

I modified the workout by completing the centering sequence twice, in order to focus more fully on balance work.  The balance postures presented here are not terribly challenging, with the most difficult being Half-Moon and Warrior 3 ("brave warrior").   In the creativity section, Yee does not include chaturanga (moving directly from plank to up dog).  He also does not direct viewers to vinyasa throughout the Sun Salutation B sequence.  (For example, he suggests: plank-up dog-down dog-triangle right-down dog-triangle left-down dog).  I modified this to be: plank-chaturanga-up dog-down dog-triangle right-plank-chaturanga-up dog-down dog-triangle left-plank-chaturanga-up dog-down dog.  I was able to add these modifications and stay with Yee's directional cues.  I was able to work up a sweat!

This is a great workout for maintaining flexibility and balance.  With all DVDs, the exerciser has the responsibility to monitor her own form and make the most of any workout.

My mantra for this yoga practice was:  I dwell on positive thoughts.  Inhale: positivity; Exhale: negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment