Thursday, July 23, 2009

Change it up!

Sometimes, we start with a goal and while we are working toward it, we can find that it is too easily attainable or too difficult to achieve. For an attainable goal, the easy thing to do would be to say, "Hey, I did it!" and stop there ... instead, we can set a new goal and continue working hard. On the other hand, if the goal is too challenging, we can be tempted to feel overwhelmed, stop trying and just give up.

When working toward a goal, I suggest to just keep trying. Keep challenging yourself according to your own body, your own needs, your own level. Every person's body is different. Just because the girl on the treadmill next to you has been running 8.0 mph for the past 30 minutes doesn't mean that you have to. However, that doesn't mean that it's OK for you to just walk leisurely while reading US Weekly either!

Today, I started out with the goal of completing Women's Running "lactate threshold" run. I intended to complete the following:

1 mi. @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph
1.5 mi. @ 1% inc 7.0 mph
.5 mi @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph
1.5 mi. @ 1% inc 7.0 mph
1.5 mi. @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph

However, while running the first 1.5 mile set, I began fatiguing and realizing that I would likely not be able to complete my run at the levels I had pre-determined. Instead of jumping off the treadmill to try something else or slowing down completely, I simply tweaked my workout a bit to make it more manageable. I ended up completing the f0llowing run:

1 mi. @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph
1.5 mi. @ 1% inc. 7.0 mph
.5 mi. @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph
1.0 mi. @ 1% inc. 7.0 mph
1.0 mi. @ 0% inc. 5.0 mph

Although I didn't fully reach my goal for today, I am at least working toward the goal, keeping the challenge in mind. I have the finish line in sight. Never be afraid to modify your workout so that you can keep working.

My mantra for today's workout: "If not today, then tomorrow."

Today's workout:
15 min. stretching
5o min. run
15 min. moderate strength training

No comments:

Post a Comment