Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Zippy Gets Shod


Even though I have read and blogged about the benefits of barefoot running, I don't think I'm quite ready to go there yet, especially since I do the vast majority of my running in the gym on the treadmill and there are rules against that sort of thing.

So, I decided to go out and replace my worn out old sneakers this week. In the past, I have always just gone to DSW and picked out whatever felt good and looked cute. However, since I am a "serious" (somewhat) runner now, I decided to go to an actual running store and get "serious" running shoes.

It was a fun experience! I went to Fleet Feet Sports, a small franchise store specializing in running shoes, apparel and gear. It was a full-service experience. The young man asked me to remove my shoes and socks, measured and inspected my feet, and then analyzed my gait while I ran barefoot on the treadmill. He then selected three pairs of shoes for me based on his observations as well as the background information I gave him about my running habits. After trying on the shoes and giving them a whirl on the treadmill, I settled on the Brooks Guidance Ravenna running shoe (pictured in this post). It has lots of cushioning, feels light on my feet and looks cute!

Today's workout:
45 min. run (5.5 mi)
30 min. resistance training
60 min. yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment