Sunday, October 25, 2009

Healthy Decisions

The other evening when I was volunteering for Girls on the Run, we talked about healthy decisions. The girls honed in on micro-choices mostly centered around food ("I only ate 2 Oreos instead of 5"; "Today I ate breakfast, but I usually skip breakfast", etc.), whereas the coaches were attempting to get them to focus on a more holistic view of an entire healthy lifestyle. I got to thinking about some healthy decisions that I hope my children will make during their lifetime:
  1. I hope they keep a healthy attitude about food. That is, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, small amounts of "junk" food, keeping portion sizes moderate, not obsessing about food, finding enjoyment in selecting and preparing healthy meals.
  2. I hope they integrate physical activity into their daily routine. I hope my daughters and son discover a sport or other physical activity in which they can thrive and practice on a regular basis. I want them to challenge their bodies and find joy in athletic expression.
  3. I hope they develop deep and abiding friendships. Sharing your ups and downs with friends is an important part of living a healthy life. I hope all of my children find friends with whom they can laugh, play and explore.
  4. I hope they find happiness without the abuse of drugs and alcohol. While I know that experimentation is a part of growing up, and I enjoy social drinking myself, I hope that my children will approach these substances sparingly. There are so many horror stories about binge drinking among college students, and the television show "Intervention" highlights the dispair and heartbreak that drugs can bring to a family. I hope that my children can navigate their teen years and early adulthood without falling prey to these temptations.
  5. I hope they use wisdom and restraint with sexual expression. At this point in their young lives, I cringe to even think about them reaching this point in their development where I have to deal with these decisions. But as countless news stories are constantly warning us, children are engaging in a variety of dangerous and promiscuous acts at younger and younger ages. I hope that my children can wait until they have some maturity and discretion before embarking on this chapter of their lives.
  6. I hope they will stand up for themselves in difficult situations. That's what all of these healthy decisions come down to, right? I hope that my kids have the strength of character so as not to yield under peer pressure and to derive courage and fortitude from the values they have been taught from their family, their school and their synagogue.
Today's workout:
60 min. hill interval elliptical (5.61 mi)
25 min. strength training
75 min. primary series yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment