Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What a Pain in the Neck


I had a great weekend, but because I went out in the evenings with my husband and my friends every evening, I was unable to do my usual daily practice. I was able to run in the mornings at the gym, but since I typically practice after the children have gone to bed, I did not have time this weekend. So I was really looking forward to getting back into it today!

At the gym this morning, instead of running, I took a "rest" day, and did the elliptical machine instead (a little less harsh on my knee and ankle joints). I noticed after I got off the machine, I had a lot of neck and shoulder tension, that radiated down into my left arm. Before the ballet body class, I did a few stretches that alleviated the pain somewhat.

When I was able to get on the mat, I did a modified primary series practice (stopping after navasana). I noticed several poses that were able to help with the neck, shoulder and arm pain:
  • Padangusthasana (Big Toe Pose): This pose stretches out the upper back, and is easy to relax into. Hooking the fingers on the big toes, or in the follow-up pose - sliding your hands under your feet - pulls your body into and targets those upper back muscles, relieving some of the tension.
  • Parivritta Parsvakonasana (Revolved Side Angle Pose) / Parivritta Trikonasana (Revolved Triangle Pose): When I do these standing revolved poses, I press the back of the arm moving toward the floor against my leg. That action creates a stretch in that shoulder.
  • Marichyasana series I, II, III & IV: In each of these seated poses, you reach your arms around your legs. The third and fourth poses are twisting poses. Each of the asanas provides a stretch to the spine and shoulders.
  • Balasana (Child's Pose): Not only is this a resting, relaxing posture, when the arms are outstretched in front of the body, it provides a gentle stretch for the shoulders as well.
These poses allowed me to stretch the upper back, shoulders and neck, and provided much needed relief for the tension that I was feeling there. Next time you are feeling stress in those areas of your body, take a minute to try some of these poses and feel better.

Today's workout:
50 min. run (5.29 mi)
50 min. ballet body class
60 min. yoga @ home

No comments:

Post a Comment