Saturday, March 6, 2010

New Workout Discovery: BalleCore

Since the instructor who taught "Ballet Body" at Lifetime Fitness has left, I have been looking for a similar workout to replace that class. It provided a wonderful lower body and core workout that was completely different from any other gym experience I have had.

In searching around, I stumbled upon this book at my local library, The BalleCore Workout by Molly Weeks. Weeks has a background in ballet and pilates and has developed an exercise program that fuses elements of those genres with hatha yoga. The program emphasizes strength and flexibility, and is based on a foundation of core stabilization, relaxation, focusing on the breath and using efficient, fluid movements.

I visited the website for BalleCore, and the instructors are spread out on the coasts, with no Midwestern representation. I would love to experience a class ... but am not sure that will be happening anytime soon. The website offers two props for sale, a bar and a band. As far as I can tell, the bar seems helpful, but you could easily use any body bar that you already have and your yoga strap is perfectly suitable for the stretches and exercises using the band.

I practiced some of these movements this evening and will probably be integrating them into my regular workouts more often.

Today's workout:
60 min ladder interval run + cool down walk (6.87 mi)
40 min BalleCore

No comments:

Post a Comment