Saturday, February 6, 2010

No Excuses!

Sometimes, I feel cranky that I didn't start running until I was 33 years old. I think, "imagine what I could have done if I had run in high school or college, or even in my 20s!". In a race, I feel a little jealous of the speedy younguns next to me in a race, or the runners my own age who have the advantage of years of training and experience.

This month's Running Times is devoted in large part to older ("masters") runners and their achievements in various age brackets. I am always inspired of stories of other runners who didn't start running until later in life. Pictured left is Ginette Bedard, who started running at age 68 and now routinely sets records in her age group.

In his Editor's Note, Jonathan Beverly writes about age grading, which adjusts results based on age (kind of like handicapping, I think). It basically sounds like a way to make yourself feel better about being older and slower. Beverly struck a chord with me with this comment:
"The only measure that really matters is what you can and cannot do today. Every race has an asterisk listing all of the reasons it should have been faster - even those fondly remembered PRs [personal record]."
He goes on to say, "we are not who we were at 30 either, and celebrate what we can do today." I really appreciate this notion, and will try to take it to heart.

I am so pleased with my improvement and performance so far, and thankful for the body that I have and for what it can do. There is no reason for wishing to change the past or making excuses for what I am.

Today's workout:
60 min. elliptical (7.50 mi)
15 min. sun salutations

No comments:

Post a Comment