Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Negative Splits

Since I began running, I have learned all kinds of jargon associated with the sport. One of the terms that I have seen bandied about in various articles and websites is "negative splits". The concept of negative splits is simple - it is finishing the second half of a race faster than the first half of a race.

While the concept may be simple, executing it is not. My initial response to competing in my first races last summer was to take off as fast as possible at the starting line, giving it my all right at the beginning. Then I would begin to get winded, and slow down as the race went on. By the time I crossed the finish line, I was ready to drop.

When implementing negative splits, you control your pace at the start of a race, and then ramp it up once you get going. This gives you a chance to warm up and once you are hitting your stride, you can pass the other runners who have begun to run out of steam.

Of course, if you want to use this method in a race, you need to train for it. I tried this out today, but running three miles at 8.0 mph, and then inching up the mph by just a .10 mph, until I reached 8.7 mph and ran a total of 5 miles. While this is a small increase in speed, I was able to shave slightly more than three minutes off of my time than if I had stuck with my initial pace.

Find out more about negative splits in this Runner's World article.

Today's workout:
40 min. run (5.29 mi)
60 min. yoga private training
60 min. yoga @ home

No comments:

Post a Comment